Money See of Cape Girardeau. Color lithograph by Charles Robyn and Co., St. Louis, ca. 1858. (Wikipedia commons)
The previously mentioned image has been reproduced numerous situations in the web pages of the Southeast Missourian, but never in shade. Relationship to about 1858, “Capital See of Cape Girardeau” gives photos of the Cape Girardeau riverfront and the “north west look at” of the city, as well as some of the most notable buildings then in existence. Couple even now stay.
On June 10, 1921, the Southeast Missourian printed an short article that describes an “antique, framed drawing” owned by Cape Girardeau jeweler Otto Frederick. From the descriptions included in the story, it is evident that “Cash Check out of Cape Girardeau” is the very same artwork Frederick possessed.
Here is that story:
Properties THAT LOOMED IN ’58 However STANDING IN GIRARDEAU THIS Town, 50 percent CENTURY Back
An fascinating antique, a framed drawing of the Cape Girardeau river front as it existed in 1858, with each other with houses of popular men of that time and key small business houses, is in the possession of Otto Frederick, jeweler on reduced Independence and an outdated Cape Girardeau citizen.
The image has been very well preserved and whilst age-marked, one can see distinctly how the river entrance of that time interval and how the river appeared as a watch from the northwest corner in a posture wherever Lecturers College now stands. It contains unique photographs of homes, some of which are even now in Cape Girardeau.
A home, notable in the picture and which stands today, is the home of George H. Cramer, corner of Pacific Street and Broadway, sitting down again in a huge garden. The property is of frame and has preserved its visual appeal very well. Mr. Cramer was previous mayor of Cape Girardeau and the father of Wilson Cramer, Jackson attorney.
Other residences still surviving are the Brunn property, in close proximity to the corner of Broadway and Henderson, the S.H. Kimmel residence on South Spanish, situated on a huge lawn in close proximity to St. Vincent’s Academy,
the J.R. Wathens home on North Key,
and the J.B. Phillipson residence, reverse Bartels retail store on Broadway.
Enterprise destinations however in Cape Girardeau are the James Reynolds mill on Water Road a shorter distance north of the previous Frisco depot,
C. Stamm’s brewery on North Sprigg, now at the edge of town,
St. Charles Lodge, corner of Key and Themis,
Filbrun and Sloan fee home on the corner of Themis and Drinking water streets,
C.F. Heinrich’s grocery store reverse St. Mary’s Catholic Church, corner of Sprigg and William streets, which is now employed as a residence.
Did large business
In accordance to Mr. Frederick, the James Reynolds mill on H2o Road was created in 1858 and did a great river company right before the railroads pushed by way of. Its merchandise shipped in good boatloads up and down the Mississippi to the time when W.F. Pott took charge.
Mr. Pott ran it a lot of several years and lastly went out of company. It is now applied as a area for the Nu-Way flour mill and a component of its higher ground area has been a storeroom for Meyer-Albert Grocer Company.
A brewery, owned by Frederick Hanny, place of which was on the location exactly where the Blue Ribbon Ice Corporation now has its business office, is revealed in the image. It was torn down in afterwards several years. (A 1956 post locates the Hanny Brewery “above Content Hollow off of Frederick Street.” – Sharon) The outdated brewery building now located on North Sprigg was then famed as the area the place Weis beer was made, a drink which Mr. Frederick remembers always tickled one’s nose when he drank it.
Slave labor designed the Johnson Property, which was in later on years remodeled and named the Riverview Hotel. This developing burned 6 a long time back. (Basically, it burned in 1916, five a long time right before this write-up was printed. – Sharon) Probably the oldest home demonstrated is the Wathens home, a setting up that is even now staunch in its old colonial attractiveness on North Main. It was created in 1838 from sandstone dug from the hills close to its place.
On the internet site of the Believe in Building stood at that time a attractive household owned by J.N. Whitelaw. The home was taken off to make place for the huge composition. (The 1956 posting locates the Whitelaw house on the website of the H.-H. Making, now the Courtyard by Mariott Resort. – Sharon)
The leading churches
Two crucial churches ended up then the Methodist Church, found where the Presbyterian Church now stands on Broadway, and the Baptist Church, then wherever the church of the similar name stands now on Broadway. (Mr. Frederick could have been perplexed about these church buildings. An before Presbyterian church stood where the 1921 church of that denomination was found on Broadway. That before Presbyterian church is the a person pictured in “Money Watch.” As for the Baptist church, the one pictured here was on the west side of Lorimier Avenue, involving Themis and Independence. – Sharon)
Faculties were held in them in advance of the Civil War, and Mr. Frederick suggests he attended in both equally of them when he was a boy.
St. Charles Lodge stays the identical currently, help save for a roof cupola, which has considering the fact that been eliminated and which was used for a band stand. (Most regional histories condition the cupola was eradicated to the Popular Pleas Courthouse. Having said that, Invoice Eddleman in a 2019 record column produced a powerful circumstance for this legend to be just that: A legend with no factual basis. This article’s suggestion that the hotel cupola was eradicated and was transformed into a band stand is the to start with time I have go through that concept. – Sharon.)
The Filbrun and Sloan retail store, still keeping its queer sort of arched doorways on H2o Avenue, is now used as a secondhand shop.
Hunt & Albert keep is occupied by the Albert boat shop.
In which Hirsch’s retail store is positioned in Haarig, the H.T. Allers shop and residence, a massive 3-tale building was located in 1858. (A 1956 post locates the Allers dwelling at the corner of Fantastic Hope and Frederick streets. – Sharon) A Presbyterian seminary for boys and women has presented way to the Opera House, corner of Broadway and Lorimier street.
A tiny household following to (St. Vincent’s) Catholic Church on Spanish Avenue, the enormous steeple of which has been eliminated considering the fact that building the picture, marked the home of Don Louis Lorimier, who initially started Cape Girardeau, and in whose honor Lorimier Avenue was named. The property has been torn down and in its area stands a sycamore tree. Lorimier lived in the residence and was surrounded by helpful Indians, who experienced camps on a number of hills in the city boundaries and served him to defend himself against enemy tribes.
The first court docket ever held in Cape Girardeau was conduced in the oldest property in the metropolis, a dilapidated creating, on the corner of Themis and Center streets, which was taken off about a few yrs ago on account of its age to furnish house for the Charles Rueseler home. Mr. Frederick believes that the to start with metropolis government of Cape Girardeau held its conferences in this residence.
From 1856 to 1858, Mr. Frederick claims, the annual county fairs had been held south of Haarig, close to Sprigg and Frederick streets, and that he remembers when the race tracks stretched from Great Hope to College Avenue. All through the Civil War no fairs were being held, he says, and in 1870 the previous fairgrounds had been used and in 1900 the new fairgrounds (now Capaha Park – Sharon) arrived into company the very first time.
Below are the other drawings from “Cash Check out” not revealed over. The Missourian’s Sesquicentennial Version, revealed Aug. 18, 1956, offered a lot more info on some of the structures revealed.
Popular Pleas Courthouse
St. Vincent’s Youthful Women Academy on South Spanish Street, between William and Very good Hope streets.
The Charles Davis property was on Bloomfield Road, “and later the household of Frank Burrough.” (1956 short article)
The Choose Michael Dittlinger house and farm was located around where Kent Library is now on the campus of Southeast Missouri Point out College.
1956 article: “John A. Frank restaurant east aspect of Key, in close proximity to Independence Road.”
1956 article: “…the initial Lutheran Church, then situated at 512 William St.”
1956 report: Corner of Broadway and Spanish Avenue.
1956 posting: “Razed this summer months…” Found approximately exactly where the Cape Girardeau Central Junior Large University campus is.
1956 report: “… on Pacific Street, in between Themis and Independence streets.”